Friday, August 17, 2007

Assignment 1

"The colors of the rainbow
So pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces
Of people going by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying 'How do you do?'
But they're really saying
'I love you'"


I posted the lyrics to "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong because I think it describes me in many ways. I've always been an observer and always notice the most random things about people, and in this song, Louis Armstrong talks about how he sees the world. In the beginning of one versions of the song, he explains why he wrote the song. "Some of you young folks been saying to me 'Hey Pops, what you mean what a wonderful world? How 'bout all them wars all over the place? You call them wonderful? And how 'bout hunger and polution? They ain't so wonderful either.' Well how 'bout listening to old Pops for a minute? Seems to me it ain't the world that's so bad, but what we're doing to it. And all I'm saying, is see what a wonderful world it would be if only give it a chance. Love, baby, love. That's the secret. Yeah. If lots more of us loved each other, we'd solve lots more problems. And then this world would be all better. That's why old Pops keep saying..." In this quote, Louis Armstrong is explaining what the meaning behind the song is. He believes that if we loved more, then it would be a better world, and I agree with him 100%. That's why I am so compassionate and believe that this song describes me.

No comments: